Wallpaper is making a comeback and we are here to share the news!
Wallpaper is all about making a statement and it’s an easy way to add unique character to a room. Whats more is, this decor treatment is no longer reserved for just the walls of your living room. Industry professionals, DIY renovators and everyone in between is jumping on board, dressing the walls of bathrooms with quirky motifs, haphazard poka-dots, modern florals, bold colour and luxe texture.
We couldn’t help get excited about this one, so we have pieced together some helpful hints and tips to get you up to speed with giving your bathroom walls the impact they deserve.
– Vinyl wallpaper is considered the ideal choice for wet areas like bathrooms and laundries, however with the correct treatment most wallpapers will work in these rooms of the home. For example if you have your heart set on a paper or fabric wallpaper consider hanging it away from direct splash zones like sinks, showers and baths and apply a suitable protective vanish it suit the specific wet zones you want to dress up. If in doubt do some investigation into the manufacturers specifications for the product and go from there.
– To ensure your wallpaper doesn’t become mouldy over time, first check your bathroom has adequate ventilation from an extractor fan or window. Then prep your walls with an anti-fungicide paste and use a mould-resistant adhesive during the installation.
Wallpaper will instantly breathe new life into an exisiting bathroom or create the impact in a new space that will make you and your guests linger longer, but it choosing the correct wallpaper is an art all in its own.
– Dark tones and big, bold patterns can make a small room feel spacious by lending a sense of opulence to the space.
– Designs that feature vertical lines will give an illusion of height, while horizontal prints can widen an otherwise cramped, narrow space.
– If walls covered in colour and prints just aren’t for you, choose a barely there faux render or watercolour effect. These subtle textures will have a luxe effect but still allow the fixtures, fittings and bathroom ware in the space to shine.
So style it your way… Be brave, have fun and remember nothing needs to be forever, so just go with a wallpaper that ‘sparks joy’ for you!
HERO IMAGE CREDITS: LOLA Freestanding Bath, SALUTO Freestanding Bath Filler, TROPICAL FOLIAGE – Anonymous, LA PALMA – Catherine Martin (nattyandpolly.com.au), COVEN – Maison C (maisonc.com), AIR – Borastapeter (wallpapertrader.com).